It was an evening of glam and glitter as Dorset County Hospital staff and volunteers were recognised for their hard work and dedication at the 2019 GEM and Long Service Awards. The awards are presented annually to recognise the people who have excelled in the Trust values – Going the Extra Mile – and to those who have achieved 25 years of NHS service.
Colleagues, patients and relatives were asked to nominate hospital staff and volunteers for a number of awards (more…)
A generous donation has pushed the latest fundraising initiative by Friends of Dorset County Hospital ever closer to their target. Graham Curtis donated an overwhelming £3,500 to the Friends after taking part in the Dorchester Lions 2K Fun Run, held earlier this year. The money will go towards the Friends’ pledge to raise £17,000 for a new ultrasound machine for the Respiratory Department at DCH. The new machine will allow for clearer and quicker procedures for patients with plural diseases. (more…)
The focus is on Weymouth and Portland in ‘Bodies and Buddies’
- We are looking at the rumours about the burial of hundreds of US troops killed in training in the days before D-Day. An eyewitness to the landing of the bodies tells all
- Lord Dannatt, former Chief of the British Army and founder of Help for Heroes talks about the composition of an invasion force
- Historian and author Peter Caddick-Adams tells us about the Yanks who became buddies and sets the scene locally before D-Day. See Penguin Books website for more information about Peter Caddick-Adams
- Les Sullivan of the Nothe Fort talks about the macabre duty of the Weymouth fishing fleet
- Stephen George of the Portland D-Day Centre on the vital importance of the Mulberry Harbour
- The irrepressible Poppy Butcher talks about singing for the US troops and her job at Portland Dockyard at the age of 15
See also our first D-Day Special
The event is being held on Saturday, July 6 from 2pm until 5pm on the former Damers School field on Damers Road in Dorchester.
It will be officially opened by the Deputy Mayor of Dorchester, David Taylor. It will be a traditional fete with (more…)
- Wyke is to loose its independent convenience store. It’s one of 5,833 shops to close since 2017 in the UK.
- Weymouth BID chief dishes out a warning – beware of bilkers who eat and run – they don’t pay the bill
- Cyber crime – head of Dorset Police cyber-crime unit reports that businesses are under attack. False invoicing is the least of it
- Creepy crawlies on Portland are toxic to some but are not in the same league as the bigger hairy caterpillars in France – let’s hope they don’t cross the channel
- Lawns – patching, feeding, weeding, scarifying and watering
Ridgeway Magazine is broadcast on Wednesdays at 11 am.
For up to date visitor information go to the Dorset County Hospital website. Click the logo…